Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pie and Politics

Is there ever a better time for discussing various socio-political situations as when one is eating pie? I certainly don't think so. Especially when one is accompanied by a fellow-pie lover with similar political views. This particular pastry purchaser (as she is wonderful and bought for me!) has increased my awareness, scope, and brain-span wildly and continously since the day we met over six years ago. I don't get to see her a lot which is a ridiculous shame. However, any time we get together is a good time; a smart time. And, of course, a delicious time.

The last few get-togethers have been at this wonderful spot in Kensington Market called Wanda's Pie in the Sky. If you live in the city and have not yet visited, you should.

Anyway, this most recent occurance of pie and conversation led into discussions (as it usually does) about gender politics, racism, institutional "isms", the hightened Uber-Individualism of our North American (Industrialized) culture, Canadian Apathy, the Tamil protests on University Ave and a great variety of personal stories (including china pattern shopping and "meet the parents"). Subsequently I have been invited to attend a five week course in social political feminist topics, full of ritual, yoga, medicine, and other professionals from myriad fields of study bringing together their experiences and perspectives on the world at large.

I am suffering stupid amounts of excitement over this. I'm bouncing and itching to get started.

Yesterday I also rode my 14 year old bicycle for the first time in many months. I've had this bike since I was 12 years old. It is my first and only multi-speed bike. It's fuschia, somewhat rusted-looking, out of date, and completely awesome. It's 12 year old girl sized, which is perfect for me both because it fits and because it really deters theft. No one else would fit on it but other 12 year old girls. And really, the rate of theft in 12 year old girl bikes is rather miniscule at last check.

I miss my bike when I'm not on it. Well, that's not fair. I miss having been on it once I'm back on it again. Cycling is so freeing; no ttc, no sidewalk etiquette, no boxy surroundings, no insurance! Just me and the wind (which admittedly sucks when it's against me, but I'm choosing to ignore this for now). I even bought a little bell last year to prevent being "doored." What I really want now is a basket for the back, into which I can place larger things, such as groceries or a heavy bag so my back doesn't get sweaty.

I almost got a new bike this year and was actually mildly disappointed that I didn't. However, when it was initially proposed to me that I might get a new one I panicked. What about the old one? I so love it; what would I do with it? It seems silly to have TWO bikes, considering you can only ride one at a time. I suppose I could have donated it, or given it to a kid who needs a bike. I'm so very attached to it (I know I know....) that I was more relieved than disappointed when I was told I have to use this one for at least another season.

One day it will break completely and I will be left with no recourse but to get a new bike. Until then, this one makes me happy and is perfect for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home