Monday, September 22, 2008

Equinox

The air is more crisp today.

I have always wondered, and never found answer, why the changes of seasons fall on either the 21st or 22nd of the chosen transitional month. Perhaps the 1st/2nd would evoke too much excitement in our human brains -too many beginnings at once; there would be wild drunkenness and debauchery. The opposite for 30/31 -too many endings; mass suicides. So instead, here it is, ensconced in the middle of a month in hopes that perhaps it will be passed over, missed, lost in the shuffle of just another week.

This year, autumn begins on a Monday, which in my state of paranoia and conspiracy, I wonder was moved to the 22nd in order to avoid this passage marking both the beginning of the week and the completion of a week-end.

I was born on a Sunday -both a beginning and an end. This would seem more significant if it had not already been pointed out in the late nineties by a pop-rock band that every new beginning is another beginnings end. This is not new to my generation.

I rarely miss an equinox. I don't normally celebrate them, what with my own life being intertwined with city living -work, eat, sleep, repeat - but I always notice. If I'm somewhere public, I'll often wish clients or coworkers a happy first day of a new season. If I'm at home, alone, I'll probably blog or otherwise write about it, then cook a new-season-appropriate meal.

This equinox I am at home. I had a good breakfast of fall grains, and am currently enjoying a good hot cup of coffee.

As we begin a new season of thanks, harvest, and giving, I am reminded of the need to live Here and Now, enjoying all that I have, all that is given, and all that I can give.

I wish everyone a bountiful harvest, joyful thanks, and many many warm blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home