Friday, April 21, 2006

Dr Glassman: 2085. Em: -4582697236589....

(don't read this if dentistry freaks you out, if you are squeamish, or if you are human.)
Oh. My. God.
This guy tried to tell me that the root canal/surgery would hurt "less than the skin graft" I had just over a month ago.
This guy lies.
Not only did it cost nearly twice what they quoted me (apparently, they misquoted me and didn't even NOTICE until I already had freezy-stuff in my mouth), it hurts about a thousand times more. This could be because the process was more invasive so it's all in my head. It could be because it's at the front of my mouth. Maybe because there's no bandage over it.

Or maybe, just maybe, because he drilled two giant holes in my jaw bone, pulled out a bunch of infection, then sewed a "porcine tissue graft" over the hole he made, then sewed the gums back down. Lifting the gums felt like cuticle treatments. Everything that happened in there... I'm not sure. There was a lot of scraping, a lot of pressure, lots of drilling sounds (which I tried really hard to convince myself was suction, knowing full well it wasn't).

Then he paused. And took a picture. He took a picture. He took this picture then asked me if I'd like to see it. Stupidly, I said yes.
Woah.
I can't begin to desribe how abject and horrible... gah. Basically, I could see the tip of my root through the FRONT OF MY JAW because there was NO BONE. Yup, No Bone.

Then came the options: he *could* just suture the gums back on and let it heal, but there was a really good possibility that they would fall into the hole created by the infection and heal incorrectly and we'd have to do all this shit again. OR: he could put in a small sterilized piece of pig skin over the hole to prevent the gums from falling in, then sew the gums over it.

For anyone who doesn't know (and don't roll your eyes here, I can see you!), I'm politically vegetarian. The prospect of having a flap of pig skin sitting inside my face is appalling. He assured me that it will eventually dissolve (like the stitches) and then I won't have it anymore. He wasn't going to put it in there without my consent, which is nice of him, but at the same time what options has he left me with?? Pig skin for a lot of money, or the whole whopping surgery all over again in a few months.
Sadly for my ethics, I chose the pig skin. My wallet thanks me.
I'm not stupid. When it comes to a choice of me vs the pig, I choose me. I just wish I didn't have to make that choice and that there was some kind of synthetic option. I also wish the pig didn't have to die in the first place. I further wish that I didn't feel so disgusting and mutated having pig skin under my gums. Finally, I wish it didn't hurt so much. I feel like... a great big bloody ball of pain. I feel disgusting. And I can't go to sleep cuz I have to ice my face every fifteen minutes for the next four hours. Speaking of that.... *sigh*
I wish I wasn't allergic to codeine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home