Thursday, April 06, 2006

Blanket Update

The prognosis for the blanket is good. I'm nearly finished. 1.5 more balls to go, and it's still nearly perfect. I have, however, run into a snag of a different kind.

I spent the last few days training in first aid and cpr (and passed, thank you. I may now officially save your life) with coworkers, including the coworker for whom this blanket is meant and who has no idea of its existence. Yesterday, I brought along my orange scarf to knit on the subway, so of course I had it with me when I got to class.

This scarf has begun to bug me. It's a tease. When I pick it up between projects, it goes so well and knits like I've never knit anything before. When I give it my undivided attention for more than three days, it starts to screw up. Parts of it look like they have bites taken out of them, but I never once dropped a stitch and my tension is VERY consistent, thank you very much. It gets to me. I can't fathom ripping it out and starting AGAIN. I just can't. I'm gonna have to trudge through it. Ugh.

Anyway, I showed the scarf to K- and asked her what she thought of it. "Is this the worst thing you've ever seen?"

She's a brutally honest girl, so I expected a brutally honest answer. And I got one. It just wasn't the one I expected.

She touched it lightly, tilted her head, then said, "I'm probably not the person to ask about this because I'm just not into oranges."

I blanched. I paled. My heart went in a circle, undecided as to whether it should jump into my throat or sink to my feet. K- gave me an odd look. "Are you okay?"

Thankfully, at that moment, N- came in and greeted and distracted both of us.

I was reeling. I think I'm still reeling. I'm nearly done this fabulous, near perfect, bright burn orange baby blanket for K-. EVERYONE assured me that she likes oranges. Everyone. And now... now... *sob*

K- left the room to get a tea, and I turned to N- to quickly outline my problem. She looked as surprised as I had been, then told me to try something like forest-olive green. Or black. Or maybe red/maroon. I can't go wrong with those. Right? Yeah, right. I thought I couldn't go wrong with orange. Good to know how that turned out.

I'm still at a loss. I asked her what her wedding colours were: Black and White. I scanned her house for colour schemes, but they haven't painted and I know all of her furniture is second hand. Her dishes are black. Some of them have red stripes.... She showed us her new maternity clothes: Black. She showed us her new maternity summer dress: Black. Am I even allowed to make a black baby blanket!? Isn't there some kind of rule against that?

So, two things I need from all of you:
1. Bearing in mind that this girl is punky-goth and despises baby colours as much as I do, choose what you think would be the best colour of:
a)red
b)maroon
c)forest green
d)olive green
e)white
f)black.

2. Announce that you are pregant soon so that I can gift you with this beautiful bright burnt orange baby blanket. First announcement wins! Time to start trying!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hunnybee said...

Aww hun that sucks about the orange blanket and you should know its not a fair race, since we're already trying :)

But I would try red, its ok for either sex and no matter what would be cool!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Yeah... I'm getting a lot of votes for red and maroon. I think that's what I'm aiming for.
And it's perfectly fair! Look what happens when you're not even trying, mom. ;)

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home