Friday, March 16, 2012

No-Poo Day... 9-ish.

This update contains details and photos of hair that has not seen shampoo in over a week. Proceed with caution if you are sensitive. Except you really don't have to be cautious at all because...

I have to report that my hair is fabulous. Having washed only once with baking soda/water/ACV since the last post, my hair has never been better. The baking soday definitely gets rid of any oily build-up, and the ACV rinse leaves my (rather long) hair smooth, soft, and super shiny. Have I mentioned that there are also virtually NO tangles?

I've bought a bamboo paddle brush to encourage the oils down my hair, so it's keeping things shiny and bright. Remember that old "100 strokes/day" thing? Yeah, don't do that many since it will likely cause more breakage and split ends. I'm definitely using this thing at least twice per day, though. It not only creates smooth, shiny locks, but provides an unbeatable scalp massage that is simultaneously stimualting and relaxing.

I admit, it's a little weird to scrub my head and not have happy bubbles cascading down my back. But when I think about it, those little bubbles aren't actually that happy. They're full of surfactants and SLS and all kinds of other ickies that have no business on skin. I also (only slightly) miss smelling like a flower after washing, but I suppose this could be remedied with a drop or two of essential oil in the ACV rinse. I haven't tried this yet, but I might give it a whirl in the coming weeks of "just water."

I'm a little scare of the just water portion of the experiment. I dislike the idea of oily build-up, and the possibility of getting smelly. I have already decided to include ACV rinses a few times per week... basically every time I wet my hair. We have hard water here, and the last thing I want is hair scales. (Yeah, I said it. Hair scales. Deal with it.) Maybe this would be a good time to try the essential oil business? Then again, perhaps not, what with all the scalp glands still figuring themselves out.

Of course, I will keep you posted regarding the use of just water (and ACV) in the coming weeks. I'm aiming for 3, but this could extend to 5 or be shortened to 2, depending how it goes.

Until then, here's an updated picture of my no-poo hair:
It may even be growing faster, both in length and width. What do you think?
How is YOUR no-poo experiment coming along? Leave me a note to tell me how you're doing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home