Wednesday, March 07, 2012

It Begins

**UPDATE:
I mis-wrote the instructions for making non-poo. Just add water in small amounts to some dry baking soda until it gets gooey. Err on the side of watery. Make as much as is needed.**

I'm a little late joining the party, but here goes: I'm giving up shampoo.

A coworker was discussing this the other day, and I became fascinated. I have already eliminated shampoos with SLS (Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfate) and other chemicals I cannot pronounce in favour of natural ingredients. I only wash my hair every 3 days (it's long and thick and takes FOR EVER to dry). I've even ventured into making my own lip balm and deodorant. I promise I still have friends.

So I pitched this idea to my cousin, sent her an article or two, and she hopped on board. She's calling this the "60 day no-poo Challenge." I love it. I think I might want to extend it a bit longer myself, but we'll see how this goes first. Here's how it works:

1. Stop using shampoo (obviously). You still get to wash your hair, but use a mixture of baking soda and water (just enough to be gooey, but err on the side of too watery).
2. Squirt the mixture all over your head and rub it in like 'poo. It won't lather, but it'll get the job done.
3. Rinse.
4. Go about your life.

If you find the ends of your hair are getting dry, use an apple cider vinegar "conditioner."
1. Measure 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider (NOT WHITE) vinegar into a cup of water.
2. Pour this on the ends of your hair. Try to avoid the scalp, as this can irritate.
3. Rinse.
4. Again, go about the rest of your life.

Internet sources (because that's all I have) suggest that you use this in place of your own regularly scheduled washings, which for me is every 3 days. I've also seen suggestions that you make the baking soda/water combo a few days in advance, but to each his/her own.

After doing this for about a week, use JUST WATER. Naturally, your hair will grease like mad for a week or so. DO NOT BE ALARMED. This is your natural oil glands recalibrating. They're over producing like crazy right now because we spent the last however-many-years-you've-lived being stripped of their natural oils several times each week. They're pretty quick to adapt, so I guess we just ride it out. Invest in a cute hat, get some bandanas or just wear a ponytail. I have been assured that this passes. Use just water for about 3-5 weeks.

After this, you can re-introduce the baking soda/vinegar regime once per week or so. Some people do more, others less. It's all up to you and your individual hair.

I'm told results are amazing. I'll keep you posted.

Here is a "before" picture. This was taken May 2011 (I really don't have anything more recent! The only difference now is that my hair is longer).


Some sources: http://thehairpin.com/2011/04/how-to-quit-shampoo-without-becoming-disgusting
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30337386/ns/health-skin_and_beauty/t/ditching-shampoo-dirty-little-beauty-secret/#.T1eG1_Wibbi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home