Monday, June 01, 2009

Registry

My friend Natalie is a genius.

This Christmas I received gifts of gorgeous pottery from the One of a Kind Show. We had journeyed there together, Natalie, Gennie and I, and had all fallen in love with the work of an incredible artisan. The pieces I received as presents were perfect for me:
This bowl has held much fruit. Its colour screams "Delicious food goes here!"
The pitcher has held everything I could think of, and the cups are good for either hot or cold beverages.

I decided that I want them to be the prototype for my fine china choice. This decision was furthered while shopping for "traditional" china at various department stores with my mother and grandmother; nothing called to me the way this pottery does.

One day, as I was complaining to Natalie about this (she has been an absolute SAINT dealing with my whines), she suggested emailing the director of the show some pictures to see if perhaps she knows who it could belong to. After a brief "why didn't I think of this before?" moment, I got extremely excited and embarked on a mission to find the correct person to lead me to my destiny.

Today I finally found the email for the exhibitioner coodinator for the one of a kind show. Neither my friends nor I had thought to collect the business card of the artisan and had NO IDEA who s/he is. Lucky for me, the show coordinator is efficient and I had an answer by mid-day. I have since emailed the artisan to see if he is willing to take "commissions" from my friends and family and custom-create our "china" set. After all, who wouldn't love the idea of exquisite, one of a kind pottery decorating their table for special occasions? I have not yet received an answer, but I am optimistic about it. If I was a potter, I know I couldn't resist the idea of making an entire table outfit.

The rest of the registry (gag) is coming together. We've decided to look at sheet/towel options since I learned that people love to decorate the conjugal bed (regardless whether there had been previous conjugations or not). Plus, everyone needs more towels. Finally, just to be frivalous, I think we're going to register for a Wii and Wii Fit. Hey, just cuz you get married doesn't mean you can let yourself go, right? Of course, we haven't done any of this yet, and probably won't get around to it until mid-June when we both have a Saturday of together. This is also when we'll visit some pawn shops to find wedding bands. The Birks bands are beautiful, but also... diamond encrusted. Call me crazy, but too much of a good thing... makes my current good thing seem less special.

Coming up: In August, my 'maids and I are going shopping for dresses! Once the dress is made, I have to get some shoes to go with it. I will have to survive a wedding shower put on by my grandmother, mother, and sister to field the awkward "We weren't invited but we're buying you gifts" comments (the one blight in having a small wedding). See if I will be able to avoid murdering my husband-to-be for not yet acquiring a suit or a DJ/band (the ONLY taske he asked for). Watch as all the last-minute scramblings slowly and painfully either come together or crumble apart.

The anticipation: It kills me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home