Wednesday, September 27, 2006

TWO Impromtu Dance Shows

FIRST SHOWING:
Setting: a white, rusty oldsmobile.
Performer: man, solo.
Audience: yours truly.
Tunes: Wicked Hardcore Hip Hop pounding from the obviously juiced stereo.
The moves: Bouncing bottom on the seat to the beat, combined with torso twisting, shoulder popping, jello-neck head-wobbling, and face contorted into a semblance of "I'm a gangsta." And it wasn't subtle; this was unabashed, full out, no holds car dancing.
Reviews: At first, I was a little frightened because hey, this man is DRIVING ALONE, seems to barely have his eyes open, and is obviously not paying much attention to the road. After a moment, however, I began to appreciate his enthusiasm for his art and I walked away (carefully) with a big smile and applause in my heart.

SECOND SHOWING:
Setting: St. Clarens Ave sidewalk in the dark in the rain.
Performer: yours truly.
Audience: A few stray cats, and a lone old man walking down the sidewalk. I totally didn't see him.
Tunes: The Dresden Dolls
The moves: Full out headbanging, arm propelling, torso contracting/releasing, hip sways (in all directions, I assure you), and exaggerated skipping. There was even some "propeller hair" stuff going on as, since it was raining, I had removed it from the ponytail.
Reviews: I'm somewhat partial since I am the performer, so let me begin by saying I'm sure it LOOKED relatively rediculous, but I had a GREAT time. The old man smiled (a bit warily), so I think he liked it (or was afraid of me). The strays remained suspiciously quiet.

The Results: Everyone needs a moment of dance in their day, whether the performer or the spectator. Despite its level of seeming danger or hillarity it makes everyone's day a bit brighter.

ps. This is a great song. Hear it. http://thebandwidth.zefrank.com/ray/goose_whipass_exteeeended.mp3?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5426&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_fileName=goose_whipass_exteeeended.mp3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home