Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Challenge Practice: Day 2


I tried running.

It wasn't too bad.

I know, everyone who has ever heard me talk about working out is picking their jaw up off the floor. I have (had?) an ungodly hatred for running. I despise it almost as much as yesterday's yoga pose (blasted compression pose). Today, however, I finally decided to see what all the fuss is about.

I used to run in elementary school. I was a sprinter from the 4th-9th grades, but hated distances. My throat would close, I'd get all mucousy and want to cough and vomit after a few minutes. I did track (100 meters and relays only, thank you), and tried Cross Country distance running in grades 4 and 5. I hated it in grade 4. In grade 5 I got partway though the season before I remembered "oh yeah, I hate this" and promptly stopped going.

In university I was "diagnosed" with "exercise induced asthma" but it was pretty moot at that point since I had decided that running was not for me. Sure, I did eliptical machines and sometimes a treadmill, but mostly I stuck with biking (real and stationary), some stair climbing, and rowing. Eventually I also decided that I hate the gym atmosphere, so I stopped going there and stuck to yoga and dance classes. This is what has kept me going for the past 7 years.

Lately, everyone around me has started running. My friend Jessica does marathons, Amy runs for fun, Carrie has gotten back into the groove... so many people have casually mentioned "(blah blah) after my run." Even my oldest friend (another professed run-hater) did a half marathon in France a few weeks ago. It's crazy.

So today, I turned on the Wii (for the first time in 255 days... yikes) and got down to business. They make you do things in stages, so I had to do this pitifully short little ditty twice - about two minutes and they don't tell you how far you've gone. Annoying! However, once you prove you can keep a good steady pace, you open the "free run" which is considered distance. It's tracked by time; I chose 10mins cuz I can't imagine wanting to do more than that pretty much ever. This one measures distance.
I ran (jogged?) 2.6km in 10mins.
I think it lies.
I wasn't winded, I was barely tired. But I was sweaty, and my knees and ankles hurt a little. And I was a little bored. (Note: next time, music.)
I've decided that I need a rebounder if I'm going to keep this up (and I plan to) since that will reduce the impact on my knees, ankles and hips.

Also, if I feel comfortable enough (and feel fancy enough to buy shoes) I may consider going... outside.... to run.... in the spring.
I know. I can't believe it either.

So, practice tally:
Weights for 20 mins = 1 point
Running 2km = 2 points
Biking 6km = 2 points
7+ servings of veggies = 1 point
Total = 6 points.

Update:
I realize I didn't tally yesterday, so here it is:
Biking 9km = 3 points
Walking 2km = 2 points
7+ veggies = 1 point
40 mins stretching, abs etc = 2 points
45 mins "other" cardio = 3 points
Total = 11 points

I can see bikram days are going to kick most other days' butts.

Still feeling good; Ill stick with it. In it to win it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hunnybee said...

I roughly do 6 min/kms. So I dunno if it was accurate but it sounds not too far off.
If you ever want shoes let me know I can find you a deal. I've yet to pay over $100 for mine.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Em said...

I'll think about it. Maybe (and this is a HUGE maybe) once it starts to warm up I'll think about taking it outside.
Maybe.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home