Monday, November 08, 2010

Holiday Challenge Practice

Although the actual "Challenge" does not begin for another 12 days, I think it's appropriate to make sure I can actually handle the things I've put in my schedule.

Today was a bikram day, since I'm a day behind, and I've planned another for Thursday.
Stats: I felt better afterward than I had last time, which makes sense as I'm getting back into it.
Postures improved:

Half-moon pose: I'm basically L shaped, but upside-down.

Camel. This pose has the propensity to make me feel sick and want to vomit. This sensation has lessened significantly, and I've been successful with it repeatly in the past several classes (including "dry" yoga).

The Twist. I've always been pretty good at it, but it felt extra pretty today.
Postures needing improvement:

Ironically, the Dancer's pose. While I could probably maintain similar posturing with modification, for some reason having to hold onto my ankle and kick makes my arm really really unhappy. I blame my failed upper body strength. I'm working on that.

The Triangle or Master pose. I suck at this pose, especially on the left. For no good reason. I have a feeling it has to do with some kind of core/hamstring combo I just haven't figured out yet or am not strong enough to pull off, but it'll get there. Oh, it'll get there.

Compression pose. I hate this pose. Unbridled, passionate, hatred. Any time I have to compress my neck and try to "breathe normal" I want to punch someone in the face. Not so zen of me, I suppose. This pose hurts my neck (which consequently hurts my head), my lungs and to some extent my hamstrings. It'll get better; I nearly had it last year when I was going 2-3x/week for 6 weeks. I have faith in it, but that doesn't make me hate it any less.

Also, I biked: 3.5km to Bikram, 3km to work, then 3.1km home.

So far my challenge schedule has at least an hour/day of SOMEthing, and a rest day either Saturday or Sunday since healing and repair is important. So far, it looks something like:
Sunday and Wednesday = Bikram Yoga - 90mins of intense cardio, strength and flexibility training all at once. Plus, you sweat like mad. Serious points.
Monday and Friday = Weights and Wii Fit activities - I'm going to TRY to focus on the running and strength training options the Wii provides. But I hate running, so I'll have to get back to you. That particular practice begins tomorrow (I'm a day behind this week).
Tuesday and Thursday = Pilates/Mat Work at home. Stretch and strength, my friends.
Added to this, I bike 6km/day 5x/week, sometimes more on days there are yoga classes involved.
My secret (well, not anymore) plan is to see what other people's points add up to in the first week and see how mine compare, then add as needed. (You'll notice I won't subtract; Like I said, in it to win it.)
Possible additions = bellydance classes 1x/week, jazz/ballet classes 1x/week, possibly a third bikram class in a week that can withstand it. We'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home