Thursday, October 29, 2009

Oh Television....

I haven't really watched television in about a year. I will watch programs, but usually online after they have aired, or I'll download things as needed, or sometimes Jim will invest in purchasing an entire finished series on DVD.

This evening, I'm not feeling very well. I decided I need to take things easy, so I've turned off my brain and turned on the TV for the first time in a LONG time. I was almost instantly annoyed, enraged, and completely blown away with the hillarity of advertisements, news, propaganda, and the absolute parody media has become.

In keeping with current trends, all of the headlining stories (on four channels) was the rush for the H1N1 vaccine. Right now, it is only being made available to a limitted population ("high risk" people including children under 5, people over 65, and people who are otherwise immunocompromised) in a very small number of clinics (two in all of Toronto). Most of the broadcasts went on and on about the extremely long lines, the panic many people are experiencing over not being allowed to have the shot yet or being unable to get it because of the long lines... There were a great number of interviews with seemingly healthy people who felt entitled to the shot because their kids are little (which makes sense), or simply because they were terrified of getting the flu. There were many close-ups of people waiting in line wearing face masks and clutching platic purel bottles.

The newscasters went on to explain the symptoms of H1N1: the exact same symptoms of the regular flu, but can sometimes include diarrhoea. Sometimes. The difference is that actually H1N1 symptoms tend to be milder. It does tend to last longer, but generally only because since sick individuals only stay home from work if they feel really really terrible, and "swine flu" doesn't make a person feel as bad.

Immediately following this broadcast came a news story about a bakery giving free classes to families with children on baking cupcakes and cookies. The subsequent commercial break/sponsorship announcement was from Pizza Pizza. Most of the actual commercials during this (and most other) break(s) were for fast food, sugary treats, and, unsurprisingly, cold medication.

Don 't misunderstand; there is hardly any bigger fan of pizza and cupcakes than I. However, I have never been a fan of vaccinations and have never felt compelled to get them. I fully agree with the adage about an ounce of prevention. Healthy, plant-based diet and moderate exercise are good pillars toward maintaining good health in the face of encroaching illness.

What a lot of people don't recognize is that sugar is an immunosuppressant. Every teaspoon of sugar reduces the body's killer T-cell count by about half. Ever notice that most "cold and flu seasons" immediately follow Hallowe'en, Christmas, and Valentine's Day?

The H1N1 vaccine is currently untried, untested, and it is not yet known exactly how safe it is or what side effects may occur. The illness itself is pandemic (simply meaning easily contageous), but less severe than the average "regular" flu. Yes, it has claimed lives; the regular flu's number is much higher. Higher still are heart disease, cancers of all types, car accidents... the vaccine is being marketted by Big Pharma as the best prevention; I vehemently disagree. Yes, the idea of the vaccine is fine, and there are some who may benefit from it (little kids, the elderly, the immunocompromised) if proven safe and effective. However, as with taking any unproven medication, it carries the risk of being more dangerous than the virus itself. Should you decide that it is correct for you, please keep in this in mind.

As for me, I have an immune system. While I might not feel at my best tonight, I know I need a little rest, tonnes of liquid, lots of veggies, and a little faith in my own body's ability to handle intruders. Good luck out there!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have a theory regarding this H1N1 deal... Long lines with demand for the immunization everybody, big pharma using an untested medication...

Isn't this how most zombie films start? I'm going to go buy a shotgun and a chainsaw tonight...

-Graham-

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home